Evening...

17:12

Downloading 3DMark 2000 soundtrack from madonion.com - I noticed that they have it right there. I tried Napster but it was slower than your average dog...

I noticed that 3DMark 2001 won't support OpenGL either. Hmph. I still think DirectX stinks - Well, this card + DirectX 7 seem to work somewhat better. Thank God ATI supports OpenGL and stuff. =)

<CONSPIRACY>I'd like to know exactly how much Microsoft sponsored MadOnion.com - they did that, judging from the credits. Maybe SGI should bribe them to make them support OpenGL, with John Carmack in the corner saying that future Quake-like (widely lisenced) engines will blow up the instant someone even suggests adding DX support... And hire some hitmen from Russia for the negotiations, truncheon and Mauser are Good Arguments =) </CONSPIRACY>

Earlier today, I played Mechwarrior 2 and 3, and signed the tuxgames.com petition (http://www.tuxgames.com/petitions/) for a bunch of games - previously, I guess, I had only signed Half-Life petition, or something like that. But MechWarrior 3 and Starcraft running in Linux would definitely Rock upon this valley of boredom.

...but with Microsoft appearing in MW3's credits, I think it's too hasty to wish that MW3 will be ported.

17:36

Still speaking of 3DMark 2000: Since Second Reality was adequeately ported to C64, I bet someone will port some of the 3DMark's demos to C64. This music is inspiring SID-wise, BTW...

19:09

Thought Railroading: Saw IDNS stuff in Slashdot. Found one page there that let me test how nicely my fonts come up in Unicode (http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/misc/unitest/). (Russian works fine, as does Chinese - Greek was slightly mangled, as was something and other else. I guess.)

I thought of adding some stuff in Russian to my web page the page via Unicode escapes, so I installed GNU Recode. Now, inputting Russian was tricky, how do I choose keyboard setting? Well, the WM dockapp for changing keyboard (cyrillic support and all) didn't work that well.

I installed wmusic instead - a dockapp that beats wmxmms hands down. Why? Feature list had things like "Super stylee rotating arrow". What else you can wish for from an XMMS controlling applet?

And that fux0ring mail host is still down. %&#@&*!!!

21:15

nighthowl:~$ nmap -p 22 rieska.oulu.fi

Starting nmap V. 2.12 by Fyodor (fyodor@dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 60 seconds
nighthowl:~$ ping -c 10 rieska.oulu.fi
PING rieska.oulu.fi (130.231.96.18): 56 data bytes

--- rieska.oulu.fi ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Grr...

OK, now I'm officially annoyed!

Today's trouble: The cell phone display has died completely. I'm getting it to the repair tomorrow. I can receive SMS and read them on the small screen, but sending them is kind of hard when the display is gone....

Well, tomorrow's trouble then: The Stuff starts tomorrow. Noooo problem. The fact that my mail server (rieska.oulu.fi) is down is a real problem. Why, you may ask?

nighthowl:~$ host www.tol.oulu.fi
www.tol.oulu.fi     	CNAME	rieska.oulu.fi
rieska.oulu.fi      	A	130.231.96.18

That's why. The thing handles the department's mail and WWW. And the WWW wonderthingy has the schedules, you know. I should have checked out the timetables earlier... this is what I get for being busy with irrelevant junk...

Batman and Robin in TV.

00:15

TosiTV marathon in TV - a whole lot of really cool videos. =)

Oh yeah, in the dark, the porn stuff crawls out of the place where it has been hiding... Now I've seen another Big Odd Thing: SMS chat with the hot mammaz d00d! Now that's spectacular. Let me guess, 5 mk per message? I guess that in the lonely times this "lady on charcoal" is typing furiously SMSes...


Other day logs o' mine...