nighthowl:~$ ddate
Today is Boomtime, the 1st day of Confusion in the YOLD 3167

10:31

I just woke up...

Today's Project: Some gaming to preserve my sanity.

For some reason, every time I'm in Oulu over the weekend they're showing Formula 1 and all interesting TV programs are pushed to the late evening...

Well, I'm not complaining, even when I'm not exactly a racing fan. =)

13:21

My plan was this: I downloaded both Windows Media Player 7 and Winamp (my Win98 side has just an old version of WMP that came with 98SE). I install WMP7.1, and let it associate with whatever it wants. I then install Winamp, and let it associate with everything it wants.

Surprise!

I had downloaded the 9-meg WMP7.1 earlier at work, and burned it on CD-R... but when I clicked it, it just asked me something garbagefully (random high-bit characters). <HUMOR topic="WaR3z" lameness="99%">I don't think the WMP download page mentioned anything about Chinese? Or maybe it printed it in Russian, noticing it was being installed from CD-R?</HUMOR>

Well, at least it gave me a reason to see what Windows Update has to offer. Interestingly enough, it mentioned that there was an IDE-related patch; maybe that will make this machine boot to Win98 a bit faster, because I think it is an IDE-bus-related problem.

Oh, BTW, who the heck at MS thought that updates should be done with a web browser? I wanted to get IE security updates while I was at it, but apparently it won't be possible if I want to install something else...

I'll take apt or Red Carpet any day, thank you. =)

20:18

Project Amusement: Seeking The New Limits of Dissatisfaction™

Okay, guess how well the games played.

Not too well. Even after the patch.

Windows Media Player 7 is, uh... not strategically differnent from what I had. Skinnable, but it just adds a huge button to the other corner of the screen. Or something.

I encoded the longest MPEG/VCD clips I've done so far: two segments from MTV3's "Far Out" program - "Reconstruction of escape to the West" in Berlin and "Finnish Eurovision song contest entry" in Copenhagen - these two were just about the funniest tricks in the whole show...

Also tried the Windoze Ogg Vorbis encoder. Works nicely. (I encoded the "entry" mentioned above... Some of the lyrics: "We come frome from Finland / We have this great song / It's so fucking boring, / It goes on and on, on and on, ..." =)

Played MechWarrior 4. had severe problems with controls, again. But the bright side: I noticed that aiming was much easier when I used external view.

BTW, the game has one serious flaw: If I'm using MW2/MW3 style weapon selection (pick weapon or group), it just won't indicate what weapon I've selected. I guess MW4-style "press button, all Weapons in the Group shall Sing" is easier...

Encoding took a lot of time and I didn't play much of games today. Not really fun. But the video clips were enought to make me more happy.

::...sings "...we didn't get points, Wooonndeeeer whyyyyyy?!?"::

23:16

Kluged Vocoditor to support Winamp a bit better... (In other words, it uppercasifies all tags it reads. =)


Other day logs o' mine...

Noded today by y.t.: Death Rally The Creation