(For thy browsing pleasure: <-- Day --> | <-- Dream --> | Wolf's Dreamworld )

This morning's dreams (Or day's - I woke up at 2 o'clock...) Navigation stuff coming later.

OK, I had dragged my computer to Kuhmo with me, apparently, and set it up on kitchen table.

And X was apparently crashing again. I had started XMMS but I clicked on wmusic applet, and all I get was some sort of weird flickering on the screen - and the WindowMaker dock suddently had three copies of wmusic running there...

I tried to give shutdown command on one of the terminal windows, but every time I gave part of the command, the screen flashed and it didn't accept the output. Took some time until I got to the commands entered.

Then I noticed I could give the command through TinyFugue. /sys sudo cd /usr/src/linux; make; make reboot (I know, it sounds silly, but that's just what I did in the dream!)

The problem was, TinyFugue wanted all commands to be in UPPER CASE. I typed them in, but it always converted them on UPPER CASE, even in the command history. (This sounds like REXX...)

I went away and returned some time later. The machine had rebooted, and didn't respond. I rebooted it again. My father had installed a DVD drive on the machine while I was away (movie freak!) and it started playing the disk that was in the drive. It was "East (something)", starring Jet Li or some other rated eastern action hero, starting scenes at the US countryside. The program played German soundtrack.

I rebooted, and took the DVD disk off the drive so it wouldn't play automatically (the disk had a soft black plastic foam piece under it in the drive - I wondered how it played anyway) and it booted. I didn't see the GRUB menu, it just complained of "Bad Catcode" in settings file. Moments after that, I got a prompt:

nvi:~#

ls showed nothing, nor did ls /. I thought "Why nvi? I don't like that editor!" and had a lot of thoughts along the lines of "well, at least I have a recent backup of my data" before I woke up...


Analysis? Well...

  • Lots of weird X crashes recently...
  • ...also lots of hard reboots, and undescribably high fears of data loss.