- to top
- To cheat, or trick: also to insult: he thought to
have topped upon me. Top; the signal among taylors
for snuffing the candles: he who last pronounces that word, is obliged to get up and perform the operation.--
to be topped; to be hanged. The cove was topped for
smashing queerscreens; he was hanged for uttering forged
- top diver
- A lover of women. An old top diver; one
who has loved old hat in his time.
- top heavy
- top lights
- The eyes. Blast your top lights. See curse.
- top ropes
- To sway away on all top ropes; to live
riotously or extravagantly.
- top sail
- He paid his debts at Portsmouth with the topsail;
i.e. he went to sea and left them unpaid. SCT soldiers
are said to pay off their scores with the drum; that
is, by marching away..
The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.