Dear Mr. Joyce,

         You are under a misapprehension: your book did go to the printers'; they set up a page, which happened to be a page of "The Two Gallants"; they kicked at its nature and it was that that made me read it the story, which I had not done previously, and that made me go into the whole question.

         I think that if you read the letters that have passed between us you will see exactly what we are willing to put our name to and what we dare not put our name to. It remains, therefore, for you to decide.

         Turn specially to the letter of May 16th, which was written in answer to certain concessions on your part. Presumably you are still willing to make those concessions, as detailed in paragraph 1.

         In "Counterparts" there is a phrase that must come out if we are to publish the book.

         We should like to omit entirely "An Encounter", but if you will give way on the other points we will give way on this.

         "The Two Gallants" must be omitted unless you can re-write it in the sense suggested in my letter of June 7th.

         Unfortunately as things stand at present you cannot buy one critic of importance, to say nothing of two; sometimes I wish one could! Also, the habit of multiple reviewing has gone out.

         I am very happy to hear of your engagement in Rome. In Rome at least you seem to be nearer to London, and more likely to come over; anyhow, I am more likely to be in Rome than I am to go to Trieste. And whatever happens to this book, which is giving you and me the writing of so many letters, I hope you will give us the opportunity of reading the novel. Believe me, dear Mr. Joyce, Sincerely yours,


Correspondence Regarding Joyce's "Dubliners":
Previous - Next