Shetland Ponies are excellent horses for young riders because of their size and strength. Shetland ponies are normally 10hh-12hh at the shoulder (40"-48"), making them the shortest pony breed. These ponies are typically very stubborn, but when properly trained, they are perfect for teaching small children, who have difficulty controling a larger animal.

Shetlands are very versatile, and can be driven, ridden cross country (given a suitable rider), and have been known to jump over 2'6".

Shetland ponies were originally from the Shetland Islands, where wild ponies roamed the moors and hills. In the 1800s, Shetlands were bred to carry or pull loads of coal through the mines. Today, they still retain the same strength, and are able to carry up to 160 lbs and pull nearly twice their body weight.

Their good disposition makes Shetlands good for working with children, because they are willing to tolerate a green rider. Shetlands are normally very bombproof, making them wonderful for gymkhanas and for Pony Club rallies.

Shetland Ponies came to the United States by the 1880s, and have since been developed into a slightly different breed. American Shetlands are not as compact as their British cousins, and they have a higher neck carraige, giving them a hunter-like appearance. Shetland ponies were also bred with other pony and horse breeds to develop the Falabella Miniature Horse, a small breed of equine.

  • www.shetlandminiature.com/ - the American Shetland Pony Club
  • http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/2016/ - excellent information on Shetlands and Shetland related clubs