Fruitarian is a word to describe both a diet having 75+% raw fruit by mass, with the remaining foods being both vegan and raw, and the partaker of such a diet. Fruit, being the reproductive organ of a plant which propagates by seed and having juicy or oily flesh includes citrus fruit, like lemons and kiwis, juicy fruit, such as apples and mangos, oily fruit, like avacados and olives, and vegetable fruit, such as tomatoes and eggplant. Despite the botanical definition, for a fruitarian diet, "fruit" excludes legumes, nuts, seeds, and grains.

Few people manage long-term absolute fruitarianism, as they will occasionally change eating patterns by eating cooked, or non-vegan foods. Many self-identifying fruitarians will go in and out of a fruitarian diet regularly. Reasons for adopting a fruitarian diet may be to lower body mass, or to cleanse the body of toxins. Alternately, it may be part of a spiritual regime that one follows; fruit is often viewed as cruelty-free and karma-free.

Medical complications that may arise from a fruitarian diet are disorders such as diabetes, hypoglycemia, various renal and pancreatic disorders, and diarrhea. It is not a diet recommended for pregnant women, or for young children.