The Formal Action Committee for Extra-Terrestrial Studies, a national group of private citizens and scientists who support the overdue public disclosure of NASA's credible evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence. FACETS is a loosely knit group of scientists and laymen who share a common goal: to ensure that the Artificiality Hypothesis is judged fairly in the court of science. FACETS retains the services of attorney Peter A. Gersten and is directed by David M. Jinks.

FACETS states; "We intend to increase public awareness of the validity of the Artificiality Hypothesis and bring about an open scientific dialogue concerning the possibility of artificial extraterrestrial ruins in our solar system, with the goal of confirming or denying the Artificiality Hypothesis. Our primary focus is answering the question of whether there are artificial ruins at Cydonia and on Earth's moon. We intend to garner enough public and scientific support to effect a shift in space agency focus toward answering the artificiality question. We intend to do this by emphasizing the benefits of such a focus in scientific, financial and humanitarian terms."

Believing that certain agencies within NASA, JPL and the Government have withheld information about the true findings on other worlds, FACETS intends to expose and publicize any and all unscientific behavior on the part of the space agency or its associates regarding the Artificiality Hypothesis, including the unnecessary withholding or obfuscation of pertinent data, with the goal of understanding and resolving this behavior. They claim that they will use any legal means necessary to ensure that the Artificiality Hypothesis is judged fairly in the court of science.

FACETS has already threatened a lawsuit against NASA, claiming that NASA has breached its Charter, and in some cases broken its promises to the agency's civilian owners, to pursue the question of artificiality. FACETS feels that there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the Artificiality Hypothesis is not taken seriously by certain factions in NASA, and that, possibly, these factions have adopted a policy of ignoring or suppressing data which could help confirm the Artificiality Hypothesis.


Statement of Purpose for FACETS:

Sufficient evidence exists in available NASA imagery to warrant serious consideration of the Artificiality Hypothesis. (The Artificiality Hypothesis is the supposition that geologically anomalous landforms on the moon, Mars and elsewhere in the solar system may be remnants of artificial structures.)

It is in the interest of science to acquire a wide variety of high resolution images of these potential ruins, and to engage in an honest, open, multi-disciplinary investigation of all data pertinent to scientific confirmation or denial of the Artificiality Hypothesis.

FACETS was formed to encourage, in every way possible, the acquisition and investigation of data which can help confirm or deny the Artificiality Hypothesis.

FACETS' strategies include:

1. Education, via presentations, articles and other methods of communication, of lay and scientific communities about available evidence supportive of the Artificiality Hypothesis.

2. Gathering grassroots support, via all methods of publicity, and translating that support into formal requests of space agencies, via petition, writing or faxing campaigns, to acquire data pertinent to confirming or denying the Artificiality Hypothesis.

3. As a last resort, initiating legal action against parties who fail to respond appropriately to reasonable requests from constituents asking for data relating to the Artificiality Hypothesis.


General precepts under which FACETS operates:

A. The a priori conclusion that discovery of extraterrestrial ruins is unlikely is untenable. There is no reason to suspect that we should not come across such ruins in our space activities. Supporting evidence for this position:

1. The 200+ member NASA-sanctioned study conducted by the Brookings Institution and presented to Congress predicted such discovery on Earth's moon, Mars or Venus.

2. Recent astronomical discoveries, such as the accelerating realization that habitable planets are probably abundant in the universe, imply that life of varying kinds may exist throughout the cosmos.

3. Recent discoveries regarding the surprising heartiness of organisms on Earth, which suggest that once life is allowed to take hold, it remains viable in even the harshest physical conditions.

4. Eminent science writers, such as Carl Sagan, have suggested that Earth has been visited by space faring civilizations as often as every ten thousand years. (The most recent: In April 2000 theoretical physicist Michio Kaku said "Personally - and this a view shared by Paul Davies, a friend of mine - personally we believe that we have already been visited; and chances are they're on the moon...")

5. A number of the world's most ancient texts, particularly the cuneiform tablets of the Sumerians and the Vedic literature of India, suggest that Earth has been contacted by space faring races. There is considerable evidence that these accounts are factual, rather than mythological.

B. For most factions the expected return on the "Cydonia Investment" is sufficiently high to warrant an all-out NASA effort to determine whether landforms at Cydonia are artificial.

C. Failure, by NASA, to take advantage of present opportunities to re-image Cydonia (particularly the Face) constitutes an undeniable breach of contract between the space agency and its owner, the American Public. Failure to adequately pursue all promising avenues regarding the possibility of ET ruins constitutes a breach of NASA's Charter, which seeks to "to contribute materially to...the expansion of human knowledge of the Earth and of phenomena in the atmosphere and space....and provide for the widest practicable and appropriate dissemination of information concerning its activities and the results thereof."