My trip to Luxembourg began with the loss of my toothpaste. Apparently the maximum limit for fluids is 3 fluid ounces and the smallest tube I could by was 6.4 ounces. Not their fault, the law is the law, and however well intended it did not agree with my tube of Pepsodent. Other then that the flights went well, I wasted little time and landed in Brussels.

When we finally broke through the clouds it became clear that America is not Europe. Instead of being surrounded by businesses, housing developments and other crap I saw green fields and a village. The architecture is very different. In America, with our large land area and relatively small population much construction is made of wood and buildings of two storeys or less is common. In Europe buildings are made of masonry, or glass and steel. The older stuff is all masonry, be it brick, stone or stucco with ceramic tile roofs the norm. That alone, along with the hipped roofs and taller, narrower buildings give the continent a very different look. In addition Europeans gather together more then Americans who like to spread out and be alone. Belguim is not flat, the rolling hills remind me of Eastern Ohio, and as my train rolled across country I recognized towns I'd read about in my histories of two world wars. The towns are older, and the transition from city to country is much more abrupt then in suburb dominated America. I liked it, it has a certain pastoral beauty and sense of antiquity we lack. It just seems right.

And finally I arrived in Luxembourg where I was met by my cousin Kevin. His family owns a townhouse near the train station with a three level back yard, a very interesting feature. Kevin took me for a brief ride around town, starting with the American Military Cemetery in Luxembourg, best known as the site of General George S. Patton's grave. Graves dug in wartime tend to be hasty affairs, but after the war all combatants make an effort to see their fallen rest in a fitting place. The US has done very well by its soldiers in Luxembourg. The grave is on a hilltop, surrounded by mature trees with a mix of green and red leaves that gives the place a fitting look. They installed dioramas of various phases of the Second World War, and a fine monument with a small, integral chapel. It always amazes me how the headstones (in the shape of crosses or Star of David) seem to form rows at every possible angle. I am sad for these lives lost, but if they must find a resting place they could do far worse then this one.

From there we wound our way through the town. The old town is built on a series of very sheer rocks, that have been fortified for centuries. The roads are stunningly narrow and wind down the steep hillsides. Luxembourg is beautiful, and I look forward to posting pictures online. There is a character to an older European city you simply do not find in America, we're too new, we have too much space to grow, here tradition and history dictate much. Tomorrow I plan to walk and climb through the town.

And so now I sit and type, a good Belgian beer at my side. My sampling is mall, but they definitely like their hops. And I like my beer. Life is good when you're on vacation.