While I agree that users who have no business messing with stuff should not be messing with it, I have to disagree with the target in the above write-up. The fingers (to some extent) should be aimed elsewhere. Specifically, they should be aimed at the people responsible for the content on the computer, whether its a business or a household. Not Microsoft.

It seems to me that the above write-up encourages a very totalitarian policy enforced by people who have no business telling me what to do. Meaning that it suggests that Microsoft forces the user to remember passwords, and that they not sell software to people who are not certified to administrate it. I disagree with that last bit almost to the point of being offended by it. (But not quite).

I would contend to you that it's not Microsoft's place to enact, apply, encourage or enforce these rules. They supply a product, and that's all they should do. By all means, they should make options available for a company or a household to enact policies ranging from fascist to laissez-faire, but aside from offering these options, they shouldn't do a thing. I don't see why they should make my OS more difficult - on purpose - because some idiot drooling onto his keyboard can't figure out how to disable WBS, or can't figure out saving passwords is a very bad thing.

I've learned how to protect my computer, and computers in my network, from all sorts of people doing all sorts of stupid shit. Now, if someone can't be bothered to learn how to do the same thing, frankly, that's not my problem, and I can't be bothered to worry about them. Furthermore, if a company allows their less computer literate employees to have such control over their computers (administators around here really clamp down on these folks until they demonstrate that they know what they're on about) they can cry me a river when Johnny Q. Mustardstain gets a bug up his ass and wipes his Windows directory.

Now don't get me wrong, even aside from their business practices, Microsoft has done a lot of things that piss me off (don't even get me started on that god-damned paperclip thing), but creating a butt-simple operating system that's easy to use and easy to fuck up isn't one of them. If anyone should say "No novices beyond this point", it should be the company who owns the computers - absolutely not the software company making the operating system.