The death of Princess Diana in 1997 caused a pretty-much-unprecedented outpouring of grief in Britain, most of it unfortunately utterly false and hollow. Through the nation's mass emotional fascism, it was nigh-on fucking impossible for anyone not caught up in the wrist-slitting tumult of it all, or who did not give two shits for Diana either way, to buy anything, use essential services or tune into any sort of media without being bombarded with Her image. The aftermath was the practical canonisation of the princess, the vilification of the Royal Family (which surely any sane person should have been doing anyway) and the 1990s' musical nadir, the mawkish Candle in the Wind by Elton John. This latter revived John's flagging career but was accurately skewered by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards as "Writing songs for dead blondes", being a lyrically revised version of a song for Marilyn Monroe.

For me, Mark Thomas summed it up best. Three days after Diana's death, he came onstage in London and said "I'm sorry, but I'm glad she's dead". He sank like a brick in shit. Thomas' point was not literal (he didn't really want her dead) but as a reaction against the hypocrisy and hysteria of the time, it was bang on.


Noded, accidentally duplicated, nuked, re-noded on the advice of Demeter. My, i'm an angry boy, aren't i