More reasons to worry in Bush's new Amerikkka (especially if black):

From the Associated Press for April 24, 2001:

"Clarifying the extent of police power in roadside stops, the Supreme Court held that officers can arrest and handcuff people even for minor offenses punishable by a fine. The justices ruled against a driver who was arrested and handcuffed for failing to wear a seat belt.

Such arrests do not violate the constitutional protection against unreasonable search, the court declared Monday. In the 5-4 ruling, which could affect anyone who drives a car, the justices said such an arrest does not violate the Constitution's Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable seizures.

Police generally can arrest anyone they see breaking the law, the court said as it barred a Texas woman from suing the officer who handcuffed her and took her to jail.

The Fourth Amendment protects "the right of the people to be secure ... against unreasonable searches and seizures." A lower court had ruled that Gail Atwater could not sue over her arrest because the officer did not violate her constitutional rights."

What was that about living in a police state? Oh, so you wanna complain about your civil rights being violated? You wanna complain about racial profiling? How would you like to spend the night in jail for not buckeling up? We're not talking about drunk driving, people, were talking about minor offenses.

If you want me, I'll be building a cabin in Montana.