Written by Andreas Capellanus (Andrew the Chaplain) in Latin, between 1174 & 1186, to a young Walter. It was written at the court of Marie de Champaigne, influential patroness of the arts.

It is divided into three parts:

  • Part One: The Types of Love and Its Attainment (Between a knight and a lady; between two people of equal rank; etc. However, he says there cannot be love between peasants, only lust, and that there cannot be love with someone who is blind, as love is the result of sight. Not exactly an inclusive system.)
  • Part Two: The Rules of Love
    • 1. Marriage is no excuse for not loving.
    • 2. He who is not jealous can not love.
    • 3. No one can be bound by two loves.
    • 4. Love is always growing or diminishing.
    • 5. It is not good for one lover to take anything against the will of the other.
    • 6. A male cannot love until he has fully reached puberty.
    • 7. Two years of mourning for a dead lover are prescribed for surviving lovers.
    • 8. No one should be deprived of love without a valid reason.
    • 9. No one can love who is not driven to do so by the power of love.
    • 10. Love always departs from the dwelling place of avarice.
    • 11. It is not proper to love one whom one would be ashamed to marry.
    • 12. The true lover never desires the embraces of any save his lover.
    • 13. Love rarely lasts when it is revealed.
    • 14. An easy attainment makes love contemptible; a difficult one makes it more dear.
    • 15. Every lover turns pale in the presence of his beloved.
    • 16. When a lover suddenly has sight of his beloved, his heart beats wildly.
    • 17. A new love expells an old one.
    • 18. Moral integrity alone makes one worthy of love.
    • 19. If love diminishes, it quickly leaves and rarely revives.
    • 20. A lover is always fearful.
    • 21. True jealousy always increases the effects of love.
    • 22. If a lover suspects another, jealousy and the efects of love increase.
    • 23. He who is vexed by the thoughts of love eats little and seldom sleeps.
    • 24. Every action of a lover ends in the thought of his beloved.
    • 25. The true lover believes only that which he thinks will please his beloved.
    • 26. Love can deny nothing to love.
    • 27. A lover can never have enough of the embraces of his beloved.
    • 28. The slightest suspicion incites the lover to suspect the worse of his beloved.
    • 29. He who suffers from an excess of passion is not suited to love.
    • 30. The true lover is continuously obsessed with the image of his beloved.
    • 31. Nothing prevents a woman from being loved by two men, or a man from being loved by two women.

      (The above list of rules is quoted from "http://faculty.goucher.edu/eng330/andreas_capellanus.htm --Andreas Capellanus, The Art of Courtly Love.)

  • Part Three: The Argument Against Love This section is basically an attack on women as being drunk, greedy sluts. It is meant to argue against the first two parts.

This was a very influential book, setting much of the standards of Western ideas on love up to the present (yes, some people still believe much of the above).