The "people here" simply have very limited proficiency in English. In my high school years (something like 5 years ago), I was among the best students in the whole city for English marks, but I was still unable to understand spoken English decently (let alone watching TV shows in English). So, yes, people may be somewhat cold when someone bumps into them speaking a very exotic language, and expecting to be understood at once.

Other than that, the city is a sightseer's dream. Although relatively small (especially by American standards: 50.000 inhbts), it has countless monuments covering virtually any period of European history, from the Romans to the XXth century, including absolute masterpieces of Antique and Medieval architecture. The necropolis of the Alyscamps is among the most important on the continent, and its collection of beautiful sarcophagi is second only to the Vatican's. If you're into Roman history and art, this is the French city that you should visit. The landscapes are gorgeous as well, between rocky hills (Alpilles and Luberon - what most people think of when they say Provence) and the wild plains of Camargue.

The whole region looks like it has been hand-crafted for the pleasure and comfort of mankind. And when you're sitting on the top of a huge Roman amphitheatre, it's easy to forget that this big, peaceful monument has seen the agony of hundreds of christian martyrs.

A touristic map of the city may be found on http://www.ismap.fr (together with maps of Paris, Marseilles, Aix-en-Provence, etc.). If you understand French, see http://www.Arles.org

This node is essentially a touristic description of the region. In case you're interested in the history of one of the oldest city in Europe, see Arles.