During the year 2001 a total of 42,116 innocent civilians were killed and over 2,000,000 injured on the road of the United States of America. Of these 2,588 were children under the age of 16. In addition to which another 36,000 suffered incapacitating injuries including the loss of limbs, eyesight and mental faculties some of whom woke up to find their family dead and their dreams shattered.

This carnage must stop now. How anyone can tolerate this number of innocent lives being maimed and killed every year merely for the convenience of being able to jump into a car and drive accross town to the nearest Walmart is quite beyond me.

So if any of you car-driving people can look me in the eye and tell me, with a straight face, that 42,116 innocent American lives, including 2,588 children and 12 year old Andy's arms, family and dreams are a price worth paying for a transportation system, then you, sir or madam, are a heartless fuckpig, and no better than the nastiest person imaginable.

We should all be suitably ashamed of being whatever we think we are and wallow in our sense of collective guilt.

And God forbid that anyone should be required to make real choices in a real world.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics sourced from: US Department of Transport Traffic Safety Facts 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------

Across the world as a whole more than a million people die each year in road crashes and twenty million people around the world are injured or disabled each year by road-traffic injuries.