Frances Bay, Actress, b. January 1, 1918

Some actresses launch a stunning career when they are young and lovely and then disappear off the map as they get older. Still, there is always a need for character actors, and some make a splendid career of it. They never headline, but work constantly in secondary film roles and put away a nice chunk of change. Frances Bay began her film acting career in 1978. She was in her late fifties at the time.

Ms. Bay has made a noble career of playing elderly neighbors and grandmothers. She is most easily recognized as Adam Sandler's grandma in Happy Gilmore or as Mrs. Tremond in Twin Peaks. No stranger to director David Lynch, she was cast for her ability to portray rather creepy older women. Lynch cast Frances in both Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. Her resume includes appearances in such films as Twins, Single White Female and Big Top Pee-wee. She also had a recurring role on the television series Seinfeld. She has been cast in over fifty movies over the course of her twenty-five year career.

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, Frances Bay was struck by a car in Glendale, California. She was listed in critical condition with a serious head injury and has had her right leg amputated below the knee.


Updates to follow as needed...