The Korg Triton is one of the highest quality (and most expensive as consequence) keyboards that is both within consumer and professional price range. Coincidentally, it was created by the company known as Korg.

It has well over one thousand sounds, and several drum kits. The sounds range from good (the pianos and choirs) to great (the strings and the synth leads. The drum kits are definitely good, but they are not phenomenal. Anyway, there are many ways to enhance or extend sounds, such as the MOSS card, several expansion cards (most recently the two-card orchestral set), as well as several built-in presets and knobs for tweaking sounds.

Of course, the Triton comes with the typical tape-delay effects popularized by dance music (the whole keyboard is great for electronica, but expecially Trance and Ambient), as well as a cool noisy vinyl sound and a vocoder (which unfortunately does not work as a talk-box). The vocoder is cool, and is especially interesting with choir, synth, and guitar patches.

The cooler features of the Triton include a large touch-screen, a sweet arpeggiator (well, two actually), a sampler, and a 200,000 note sequencer. The Triton has a trackpad-like slider, as well as an x/y pitch/vibrato slider, and two toggle buttons.

Some famous people to use the “silver beast” include Scapegoat Wax, Moby (I believe), Backstreet Boys, the Cynic Project (a relatively unknown Dreamtrance musician), and several others.

The Triton comes in four models as of now, though they may add another later. These include the Triton, the 76-key Pro, the weighted 88-key Pro-X, and the rackmount version, which has no keys and is controlled through mLan or MIDI. The next variation rumored to be released would be the Special Edition. The Triton is the sequel to the Korg Trinity.