Hit it! Hurray, hurrah! Mizzou! Mizzou!
Hurray, hurrah! Mizzou! Mizzou!
Hurray, Hurrah! And a bully for old Mizzou! Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!
Mizzou-Rah! Mizzou-Rah! Mizzou-Rah! Tigers!

Introduction

Otherwise known as Mizzou or MU, the University of Missouri - Columbia was founded in 1839 and is located in Columbia, Missouri (20 minutes north of Jefferson City, the state capital). Mizzou was the first public university founded west of the Mississippi River and is known worldwide for its distinguished School of Journalism. Truman the Tiger serves as the school's mascot, named after Harry S. Truman, the only U.S. president from the state of Missouri. School colors are black and gold. The present chancellor is Dr. Brady J. Deaton. He offers the following description of Mizzou and the surrounding Columbia area:

MU is one of the nation’s most exciting learning communities, and a fun place to be, as well. We have outstanding academic programs with faculty that rank among the best in the world, a wonderful library and student support system, a rich student life with many student organizations that serve your special interests and needs, visual and performing arts, and intramural activities. We are proud of the Tigers as we watch them march to victory in football this fall and in other sporting events. Columbia is a wonderful town with a great variety of restaurants, music and entertainment for your enjoyment.

MU Facts *Disclaimer: Skip this section if you hate dry facts.*

Total enrollment at Mizzou for Fall 2004 was 27,003 students. Of these students, 21,025 were in state, while only 5,978 were from out of state. The student population is largely undergraduate (20,883 undergrads to 6,120 graduate and professional students). Additionally, international students account for 1,400 members of the student body. Unfortunately, minority student numbers are marginal at 2,714 (the majority of MU's students are white). Annual tuition for a Missouri resident is $6,662, non-residents pay $15,480. The average ACT score is 25.4 (National Average: 20.9, State Average: 21.5). Also, Mizzou's freshmen retention rate generally hovers around 85%.

Mizzou is part of the state of Missouri's UM-System, which includes additional campuses in St. Louis, Rolla and Kansas City. The university itself is composed of 20 schools and colleges, they are:

  • College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
    School of Natural Resources
  • College of Arts and Science
    School of Fine Arts
    School of Music
  • College of Business
    School of Accountancy
  • College of Education
    School of Information Science and Learning Technologies
  • College of Engineering
  • Graduate School
    Harry S. Truman School of Public Affairs
  • College of Human Environmental Sciences
    School of Social Work
  • School of Journalism
  • School of Law
  • School of Medicine
  • School of Health Professions
  • Sinclair School of Nursing
  • College of Veterinary Medicine
  • University of Missouri Extension

Students may pursue a course of study in over 275 different degree programs.

Research at Mizzou

Mizzou attracts more federal research funding than any other public university in Missouri.

MU is one of only 34 public U.S. universities, and the only public institution in Missouri, to be selected for membership in the Association of American Universities and designated "Doctoral/Research Extensive" by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. AAU members are the nation's most prestigious research institutions. For more information on scholarship and research at Mizzou, check out Illumination.

Personal Perspective

I am an anthropology student at the University of Missouri - Columbia. At present, I am a second year student with junior standing, though I plan on staying for a full four years (maybe even grad' school). I love it here. The campus is beautiful, especially on foggy fall mornings before anyone else is awake and walking around. Columbia is a great town too. The downtown area is small enough to walk anywhere, yet the city itself is large enough to draw good music and entertainment. Sometimes Mizzou is given the reputation of being a Greek-dominated party school (some hold that it was the inspiration for the movie Animal House). In my experience, the parties are there if you want them. Every night of the week. Most people don't let loose that extravagantly though.

One thing you need to know about Mizzou athletics: We are supposed to be successful every year, but we find new and ingenious ways to blow the season. I myself ride for the MU Cycling Team, we are a student club, completely walk on. However, we compete against many schools in the MWCC (Midwest Collegiate Conference) whose riders are on scholarship. We have performed decently the past few years. For more infomation, check out our site (look forward to a full writeup detailing my adventures with the cycling team).

I understand that I am only one student at Mizzou, thus I only offer one perspective. So, it is my hope that CrAzE and Epiphany will message me with their own "perspectives," to be posted here along with my own.

Source: www.mizzou.edu