The world is not, and was not, composed of matter in the same form as it was ejected from the Big Bang. The world came into being billions and billions of years later. By that point, the maybe mostly-carbon matter had aggregated into stars; if it was carbon, collapsing onto itself with enough gravitational force to break down whatever was there before heating up enough to begin the fusion cycle up again, by fusing hydrogen into helium. Stars are essentially big fusion furnaces, and when they run out of hydrogen, they will collapse and with the higher temperatures available begin fusing helium into even more elements. All gold in the universe is expelled from supernovae, essentially; that's the only event hot enough to fuse elements up into gold. The alchemists would've got an awful shock if they'd actually managed to create the correct conditions for lead->gold transmutation here on Earth, moments before there wasn't an Earth anymore. In any case, amongst all this violence and plasma transitions, there's plenty of room for electrons to have gotten stripped, juggled, and asymetrically reaggregated. Heck, once you have the elements, all our planet needs to create a honking lot of 'em is solar energy, the earth's magnetic field, and maybe the van Allen belts 'cuz they have such a cool name and pop up everywhere else. Then you get lightning. Lightning predates life. Maybe it catalyzed that first carbon-chemistry soup into something viable. In fact, scientists jazzing replicas of the primordial soup with artificial lighting have observed the beginnings of DNA form in their highly instrumented cauldrons.

Anyway, can you give references for the 'it was mostly carbon' theory? I'm curious now. :-)

Disclaimer: I may be talking entirely out of my behind. I'm a liberal arts major.