I can't stand being manipulated, especially when the topic is so fucking horrific. I just came in for the last 40 minutes of the 9/11 thing. I have to say, I'm really, really really wishing there was a relevant target to drop a few Trident RV's on. Of course, I'm a New Yorker.

I dunno. I mean, I just can't help but think of a friend's thesis (which is on American Presidents and the effects of foreign intervention on approval ratings) at a time like this...it just feels too damn much like drumming up support for Iraq, y'know? I mean, I'm not saying this shouldn't have been made a documentary and shown to the world, but...still.

I don't feel that the filmmakers had this motive in mind. Nor did CBS, or anyone involved in showing this. However, I can't escape the feeling that all sorts of other governmental actions are being or have been designed to 'take advantage' of the resultant public feelings.

I don't like myself when I hate.

I hate them.

I really, really want to kill them. All of them. Anyone who did it, planned it, or anyone who even shouts approval for it. I have no illusions that I'm justified, but I am very glad I'm not holding a trigger or a command authority right now, and I have to say that I have developed a bit of newfound respect for the Bush administration's pace of response. Even if I think Cheney's a completely venal scumbag trying to hijack this whole thing to finish his uncompleted war.

I mourn for all those killed in Afghanistan; our guys, Afghans fighting with us, Allied forces, especially civilians on the ground. I salute the U.S. and allied forces for their efforts.

If anyone pops up and shouts that we deserved it, in any country, I am right now firmly in favor of kneecapping them, flaying them, leaving them staked out in the dust and sowing their fields with strontium salts.

God help me.


Update:

Monday: Christ, this is worse than I thought. Upon reaching work, I've received no less than *three* snail-mail adverts for disaster-recovery services of one form or another (backup software, archiving service, 'IT Planning consulting'). All of them, when opened, had the text "September 11, 2001" immediately visible.

I must needs redirect my anger, for the nonce; at least these scumbags sent me their return address, the profiteering bastards.