Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra Media Noche (5 1/2 x 54)

A Custodial E2 Cigar Review!

This cigar, at 54 ring, is almost too big to smoke lazily (i.e. leaving it hanging out yer chops). The taste is a pleasant surprise; given the dark maduro color I expected harsher overtones, but the draw was strong and creamy instead. The taste is smooth, with the high age of the wrapper toning down the otherwise powerful dark Sumatran tobacco. The Dominican ligero in the filler is discernable for its creamy taste, while the spiciness of the Honduran and the stronger smoke of the Nicaraguan blend wonderfully in. The burn was somewhat inconsistent, but the cigar didn't suffer any 'canoe-ing' or burnthroughs, providing a superior smokin' experience. As the stick shortened, the buildup of oils and aromatics lent an increasingly powerful musk to the smoke, which changed the flavor as it went, but never became overbearing. It's quite a strong stick, and I regretfully consigned the final third to the bin rather than go lightheaded at work - but this would be an excellent after-dinner cigar. The strength is such that it would work well opposite a sweeter drink, perhaps a port; it doesn't seem quite spicy enough to stand up to a scotch.