First of all, let me say that numerous noders have come forward privately to wish me luck, offer support, and offer their own experiences with weight loss procedures, both surgical and not. You folks are all heroes, and I am incredibly grateful - your stories are making this so much easier, and letting me hope rather than just sit here a ball of nerves. Thank you all, and you know who you are.

Today was medical paperwork day. Started at 9am at the other end of Manhattan getting my CPAP compliance visit done so that the sleep doctor would give me my compliance letter for the FAA medical examiner. Then at noon, I reported to NYU Langone medical center for the 1-week-prior clearance visit for my surgery.

It was mostly paperwork. There was also a chest X-ray and blood work (ugh). I hate blood draws because I have 'terrible veins' according to multiple phlebotomists (if I spelt that correctly). They're deep and hard to find, and apparently I have a strong physiological reaction so when you do get them with the needle, my blood pressure drops making flow difficult. Sometimes they have to stick me three to five times, and when that happens, I tend to go into syncope around half of those sessions.

This time that didn't happen; I warned them, and two of the nurses came in an consulted and checked both arms and both hands before settling on a vein in my right arm. That stick didn't take (sigh) but the next try, in the back of my right hand, did, so they were way ahead of the game.

While there, I consented to take part in a double-blind medical study which is studying the effects of low-dose ketamine on bariatric surgery patients, to determine if it in fact lowers the requirement for pain medication. Woohoo! K-hole city! Now I get to explain to the FAA, if it shows up on a drug test, that I was in a drug trial, hehehe.

Home again. Picked up some quick groceries (Nestle's version of the low-carb ice pop, to try - turns out they're nicer than the popsicles, but I suspect some weaseling on the nutrition, this tastes like fruit juice not sweetener). Also picked up 48 Maggi chicken bouillon cubes and another can of Bustelo coffee. You know, the basics.

Weight: 318.1 (not 118.1 as originally posted because maybe I was dreaming I'd had a hemicorporectomy)