Home for a couple of days around my family Seder, goyishly late for logistics purposes. I got home late in the afternoon; my brother is out of town seeing his kids, so I have the place to myself. I haven't been home in a couple weeks, when I was home for a day, and two weeks before that I was on the road.

My cat is unbelievably angry with me.

She came over and demanded some serious headscritching and a hug or five. For a couple of hours.

Then half an hour ago she went insane for no immediately apparent reason and started abusing her brother. She backed him into the bathroom and stood in the hall, penning him there, for around twenty-five minutes, yelling (the fact that he weighs 28 lbs and she weighs 11 is not relevant, here, trust me). I had to eventually sprinkle some water on her to get her to back away, and she promptly retreated halfway up the stairs and sat there growling at the both of us.

That's when I realized.

I tried to apologize for the water. She let me rub her neck - she has only once ever lashed out at me, and that was excusable - but kept growling.

Worse, whenever I get near her, she turns her head to look at the wall and growls louder.

I feel around six inches tall, and perhaps the Most Awful Person In The World.

Who knew cats were this good at guilt? Calm sociopathy, psychosis, intimidation and violence, sure. But guilt? Who knew?

Man, I feel awful.