|In the year 1934...
- The Chinese [Red Army] begins the so-called "[Long March]."
- The "[Dust Bowl]" reaches its zenith as a massive [dust storm] sweeps across the great plans [May 11]-[May 12|12], burying the city of [Chicago] under a foot of dust and ultimately depositing dust as far away as [Boston].
These people were born in 1934:
- Russian cosmonaut [Yuri Gagari], first human to travel to outer space.
- American consumer activist [Ralph Nader].
- English zoologist [Jane Goodall].
- Italian fashion designer [Georgio Armani].
- Italian actress [Sophia Loren].
- English actress Dame [Judi Dench].
- American astronomer [Carl Sagan].
- American baseball legend [Hank Aaron].
- Puerto Rican baseball legend [Roberto Clemente].
- American baseball great [Al Kaline].
- American basketball great [Bill Russell].
- American basketball great [Elgin Baylor].
- American television journalist [Sam Donaldson].
- American writer [Harlan Ellison].
- American blues harmonica player [Junior Wells].
- The [Dionne Quintuplets], the first quintuplets ever to survive through birth.
- [Donald Duck], who makes his first appearance in the animated short "[The Wise Little Hen]."
These people died in 1934:
- German president [Paul von Hindenburg], clearing [Adolph Hitler]'s path to absolute power.
- Austrian Chancellor [Englebert Dolfuss], assassinated in a failed Nazi coup, paving the way for a German takeover of Austria.
- American bank robbers [Bonnie and Clyde], ambushed and shot dead by lawmen.
- American gangster [John Dillinger], gunned down by lawmen.
- English composer [Gustav Holst].
- American baseball great [John McGraw].
 - 1934 - 
This is a collaboratively edited writeup. You are encouraged to assimilate and supersede it.