Mayakovsky was a heralded poet of the Russian Revolution, but he soon fell from favor with the political establishment and found his works boycotted by the official writer's union. Mayakovsky took this rejection to heart, and at the age of thirty-three, he committed suicide.

To Everyone
The fact that I die is no one's fault and, please, don't gossip. The deceased especially hate that.
Mama, sisters and comrades, forgive me--it's not the best way (I don't recommend it to others), but I have no other exit.
Lilia-love me.
My Comrade Government, my family is Lilia Brik, my mother, my sisters, and Veronica Vitoldovna Polonskaya.
If you can arrage a tolerable life for them-thanks.
Give my poems in progress to the Brik family, they will take care of them.
As they say-
"the final juicy incident is closed"
my beloved boat
is broken on the rocks of daily life
.
I've paid my debts
and no longer need to count
pains I've suffered at the hands of others
The misfortunes
and the insults.
Good luck to those who remain
Vladimir Mayakovsky.
P.S. Comrades, don't think me weak.
4/12/30
Seriously-There's nothing left to be done
Hello.
... In the desk I have 2,000 rubles-use it for taxes.
Get the rest from the State Publishing House.

After his death, Stalin rehabilitated Mayakovsky, saying: "Mayakvosky was and remains the most talented poet of our Soviet epoch." Practically overnight, the boycotted poet became a hero of the revolution. Squares were named in honor and statues erected.

Taken from "Or Not to Be: A Collection of Suicide Notes" by Marc Etkind.

Remind me not to move to Russia.