Semantle is another word game riding on the coattails of Wordle -- but not in the sense that it's derivative, just in the sense that it is, apparently, word-game making time. It's a bit closer in spirit to 20 Questions, although, again, not in a derivative way. Semantle is its own thing.

Natural language processing often relies on word embedding; this is a very cool subject that I am going to gloss over for now. Broadly speaking, a lot of computing effort is going into analyzing the way humans use language and the way that words relate to each other. Obviously, this should be a game!

If you think of Wordle as being a game that gives you hints as to where a word is in a dictionary, Semantle is exactly the same thing, but replacing 'dictionary' with 'semantic space' -- or to put it another way, Wordle is to spelling as Semantle is to meaning.

Using a semantic network, Semantle (Word2Vec, actually; Semantle is just a fun way to interact with Word2Vec's output) gives words a score indicating how close they are in meaning to a target word. For example, if the secret word was 'cat', then 'dog' would be fairly close in meaning (both animals, both pets, etc.), whereas 'moose' would be further (both animals, but not pets), and 'five' would be right out. The interface is simple; you type in a word, and Semantle tells you if you are hot or cold, and you keep guessing until you narrow it down to the target concept.

There are no limits on guesses, thankfully. I am not especially good at the game (yet), and I take about 50 to 100 guesses to find the target word. This is probably about average for new players. This makes it a bit slower game than 20 Questions, and much slower than Wordle. It is also, I think, intrinsically interesting in a way that a spelling game cannot be.

Semantle can be found at semantle.novalis.org. The creator notes that it is broadly based on a commercial party game called French Toast, and it is broadly in the same class of word games as Taboo, Concept, and Codenames -- except that you've replaced your friends with a computer, and can play only once a day. Very 2022.