Mīrābilis is the Latin adjective meaning marvelous, astonishing, glorious, or miraculous. It, along with its root verb mīror, gives us a multiplicity of English words, from the now obsolete mirabiliary and mirabilist and the more familiar miracle and admire.

Mirabilis entered common English usage briefly in the late 1600s as a shortening of aqua mirabilis, a medicinal cordial made with spirit of wine, nutmeg, clove, galangal, cubeb, mace, cardamom, and ginger (other mixes list sage, betony, and balm; modern 'aqua mirabilis' soaps and body butter don't necessarily include any of these).

This is also the genus within the family Nyctaginaceae consisting of about 60 species, making it one of the most numerous and diverse of the Nyctaginacean genera. They are indeed diverse, and many accounts online focus on the more common varieties, claiming that Mirabilis as a whole are herbaceous or ornamental, neither of which is universally true. However, the best known varieties are are usually grouped under the common names of four-o'clocks or umbrellaworts, and grow primarily in North and South America, particularly in the deserts of North America. They have small, often fragrant flowers, and are sometimes used as ornamental plants. One species, Mirabilis expansa (commonly called mauka or chago) is grown in the Andes as a food crop for its tuber.