Humanium Metal is a brand of metal made by melting down illegal firearms seized in conflict zones.

SO MANY QUESTIONS! So first off, yes, this is a brand. Humanium Metal is copyrighted by the by Swedish non-profit organization 'Individuell Människohjälp (IM) Swedish Development Partner'. They own the copyright to both the name 'Humanium Metal' and the icon associated with it, a box intended to look like it was pulled from the periodic table with the letters Hu. It should be noted that 'Humanium' on its own is another organization with its' own copyright on that individual word; they work to provide legal advice on children's rights around the world.

IM, however, are "working to achieve a world free from poverty and exclusion, where everyone can find out about their rights and take control of their lives." They have been using Humanium Metal to achieve this end since 2016. The first production run consisted of about one ton of guns seized by police in El Salvador; the metal was melted down, shipped to Sweden, and there reduced to a powder so that it could easily be used in a range of products. Most other weapons turned into Humanium are from South America, but the police in Falmouth, Maine donated their collection of seized and turned-in guns to IM in 2021, and it appears that this was accepted into the Humanium pool.

Items made from (or with) Humanium include pens, watches, spinning tops, wristbands, jewelry, and paint -- this last primarily, and perhaps only, used by Scottish artist Frank To. All of these products sell at significantly more than you would have predicted. Humanium is 95% iron and 5% 'whatever', and sells for about $6.60 per ounce as a raw powder. But it is a cool concept, and despite the unnecessary carbon footprint, the silliness of the concept from an engineering standpoint, and the fact that metal does not have any memory, and does not contain 'essence of gun', I love the idea, and would quite like the Humanium top myself... just not for $70.