Dark Horse Comics bought the right to publish G.I. Joe comics, and the first of four issues was released in December 1995.
The series was written by Mike W. Barr and Mike Richardson, with pencils by Tatsuya Ishida and Jerry Bingham. A second series of four issues was published a few months after the first, written by Mike W. Barr, and pencilled by Tatsuya Ishida, except for issue four, which was pencilled by Joel Naprstek and Frank Teran.

The new storyline is set in the year 2010, with none of the original characters involved.
The new G.I. Joe team, which consists of Ballistic, Black Dragon, Freight, Harpoon, Mayday, Metalhead, Quick Stryke, Sgt. Savage, and Lt. Stone, fight the evil S.K.A.R. (Soldiers of Kaos, Anarchy, and Ruin).

Unfortunately for Dark Horse, the series wasn't a success. This was probably because the stories were not about the Joes everybody knew, like Duke, Hawk and Lady Jaye, battling the evil forces of Cobra.

Updated in August 2001:
Good news for all that loved G.I. Joe in the 1980s, because a new comic book will be published by Image Comics. The first issue should be released in September 2001, and will be written by Joshua Blaylock, with art by Steven Kurth and John Larter. Covers are drawn by J. Scott Campbell (of Danger Girl and Gen13 fame), who admitted in several interviews that he was a big fan in the 1980s.