Making its debut in Penn and Teller
's How To Play With Your Food
, this great recipe has been showing up all over the web. Try it today!
PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl, until foamy.
- Add the buttermilk and the vanilla and blend well.
- Add the baking soda, one teaspoonful at a time, sprinkling it in and beating until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of light cream.
- Add the lemon juice all at once and blend into the mixture.
Stir, do not beat (you want it creamy, but without a lot of air).
- The mixture will congeal into a pasty lump. Scoop it out of the bowl using a spatula and spread it on a floured surface.
- Sift the flour and 6 oz of the sugar together and use the fingertips to work it into the egg-lemon mixture.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/32" thick, and with the tip of a sharp knife, cut the "angel" shapes and twist up the edges to form a shell-like curve about 3/8" high. Sprinkle on the remainder of the sugar.
- Brush each "angel" with melted butter.
- Place angels one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, or until golden.