Born in North Bergen, New Jersey and arguably the greatest High School Wrestler of all time, Steve compiled at 211-1 career record with 187 pins at Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey while wrestling in the heavyweight division. He won the National High School Title 4 times in dominant fashion. He even won 2 of his 4 national titles without surrendering a point.

Mocco has also won three national freestyle championships which shows not only superior athleticism but also great diversity.

For the first 2 years of his career he wrestled out of St. Benedicts Prep, before transferring to Blair for his Junior and Senior seasons. His only loss came during his Sophmore year when he was leading Tom Sorenson from Queensbury, New York 11-1, at the start of the second period, when, starting on offense, he attempted a foot sweep, caught his own foot on the mat, fell to his back and was pinned. However that loss was quickly avenged in a tournament later that year.

Perhaps the most hype for Mocco came at the end of his Senior year when the question was raised, 'what college will Mocco attend?' Expectations ran high as Steve carefully contemplated his options. Among them were the University of Pennsylvania, Lehigh, and Oklahoma State. However in the end Mocco signed a letter of intent for the University of Iowa and will wrestle there next winter.