compiled overview of the 30ton VLK-QA Valkyrie 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The Vakyrie is a 'Mech design unique to the Federated Suns. Although commissioned by the League's Regular Army, it did not enter production until 2787, after the start of the First Succession War. Because the Corean facilities were all within the Federated Suns, all Valkyries produced became the exclusive property of House Davion. Despite the chaos of the Succession Wars, the Corean plants on New Avalon are still functional, a large industrial complex still capable of manufacturing up to 130 Valkyries per year.

The continued operation of Corean Enterprises depends upon several other key industries. Components such as fusion reactors and sensor helmets are still produced by completely automated plants, using technology that is no longer understood. These old and worn plants often break down, which means the day may come when it is no longer possible to repair malfunctioning equipment. When the supply of ultra-high technological parts needed by each 'Mech runs out, Corean Enterprises will be forced to end production.

Future concerns aside, the Valkyrie has become an important part of the Davion forces. It generally replaces the lighter Stingers and Wasps in the Federated Sun's crack combat regiments, giving their units improved firepower. Because the VLK carries twice the armor of either a WSP or a STG, it can last longer under fire.

The Vakyrie is a highly regarded light 'Mech. Its six tons of armor, top speed of 86.4 kilometers per hour, and 150-meter jump capacity allow it to outmaneuver heavier units on the battlefield and to absorb a fair amount of damage. At the same time, the VLK's eleven heat sinks allow a high rate of activity without overheating. Its relatively flat potential damage curve illustrates that it is equally at ease fighting at extended range or at close quarters.

The Devastator LRM system is an unusual but welcome addition to a light 'Mech. Though it carries only twelve reloads, the LRM-10 makes the Valkyrie a potentially tough opponent even at long range. At close range, the combination of medium laser and jump capacity makes the Valkyrie just as dangerous. Although it is no match for a medium or heavy 'Mech by itself, as part of a lance, the Valkyrie is effective. More than one MechWarrior has suddenly found to his horror that he has a Valkyrie behind him and the rest of the lance in front.

The Valkyrie's eleven heat sinks allow it to jump as often and as far as desired without decreasing its rate of fire. This has given the 'Mech a reputation for tenacity. It has been said that once a Valkyrie attacks, 'it stays with you until either it drops or you do'. As experienced pilots are more likely than most other MechWarriors to be assigned to a new Valkyrie, this reputation may be well earned.

Because this light 'Mech is so well-armored, it is often assigned to scouting missions. They are also much less likely to fall victim to scout-hunters such as the Scorpion. In fact, the Valkyrie's LRM-10 can inflict respectable damage on hunter units lacking long-range weaponry.

To date, the Valkyrie has not developed any chronic maintenance problems. Although there have been instances of shorts in the leg actuators and a number of bugs in the sync-tracking systems, these have been rectified. Despite these difficulties, the Valkyrie has become an important part of the Davion military machine. It is now found in virtually every regular regiment of the Federated Suns.

The Valkyrie has made its greatest contribution as a lance member. It often supports its lance leader in an attack on a much heavier opponent. In such operations, many Stingers and Wasps have been crippled before they could make any contribution on the battlefield. The Valkyrie is not an easy kill, even for a heavy 'Mech.

In the First Battle for Galtor, elements of Davion's Syrtis Fusiliers held the planet despite an intense, three month offensive by Kurita's Proserpina Hussars. The battle was significant because the Syrtis Fusiliers had recently replaced all 'Mechs in its light units and fire lances with Valkyries. Although badly outnumbered, the defenders managed to stem the invasion and push the attackers back. Much of the operation's success was credited to the low attrition rate of light 'Mechs, which allowed lance structures to remain intact throughout the defensive operation.

On Dobson, where House Davion and Kurita clashed less than a year later, Valkyrie scouts managed to pinpoint the location of the attacker's major supply deposit. Spotted while leaving the area, the Valkyries were forced to fight their way back through enemy lines. Although the 'Mechs were barely operational when they returned to friendly soil, the fact that they survived at all is a testament to the durability of the VLK.

During the Siege of Sarna, Valkyries were used successfully as scout hunters. Their long-range missiles allowed them to cripple their opponents from a safe distance before moving in for the kill. Not one VLK was lost in these operations.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.