Don't be so quick to tear down the Electoral College

The Electoral College is actually much more important to the assurances of freedom and the Rule of Law in our country than is readily apparent. The Electoral College is a means by which smaller, less populous States in the Union can defend themselves politically from larger, richer, more populous and industrialized States. Without it, Presidential candidates would need only campaign on the issues that affect the majority of citizens in this country that live in large urban areas, and the needs of the minority living in rural areas would be abandoned.

The fact that a candidate can win the popular vote in the country and still lose the election is actually one of the positive benefits of the system. It provides an avenue for political minorities to have their voices heard. It prevents the majority from tyrannizing the rest. It gives the underdog a chance. It ensures our ability to dissent.

Along with the freedom of speech and press, the Electoral College is one of the greatest stabilizing agents in the Federal Government.

It also makes your vote count MORE.

Your vote holds more clout against the other voters of your State than it is against the rest of the country. That's immediately obvious due to the sheer difference in numbers. Likewise, your state's vote(s) are worth more in the National election than your individual vote would be worth. Your state votes, determining the candidate who's platform represents the greatest appeal based on the issues which are most important to your state. Then, you consolidate your votes into an Electorate and submit them against the other States.

But wait, you say. I didn't vote for the person who won my state. Isn't my vote wasted? NO! Remember that the people around you are voting in their collective interests. It is natural to assume that the winner of your state will produce the greatest collective benefit for your entire state (yourself included). Arguably, you are voting for the candidate who will settle the issues that are important to you in your own favor. If you think that the same issues that affect a rural farmer in Nebraska are important to an inner-city mom in New York, or a dot-com tycoon in California, you're a fool...this is why it is important to diffuse the immense power that statewide voting blocs (which would naturally form anyway if the Electoral College was removed) can have.

Think of a presidential election as kind of the World Series of American Politics. Politicians campaign in their various parties for a nomination to the Election in much the same way that baseball teams compete in their leagues. When the big event comes, each state is an individual game and each vote is a run. It is not enough for a candidate to simply score the most runs. The candidate must strategically score the most runs in the most games.

Backing back out of the metaphor, this means the Candidate who adopts the platform which represents the greatest interest of the most diverse groups of people will almost always get sifted to the top.

Even if he is the less popular one.