I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is a song by Brian Wilson and Tony Asher from the Beach Boys' 1966 album Pet Sounds. The song sums up more than any other the essence of that album, and is, contrary to rumour, one of the few songs on that album where Wilson sings all the parts (the chorus backing vocals, for those who have been trying to figure them out, are 'wish I could find something to put my heart and soul into' along with a very quiet chant in Spanish. Phonetically this chant is 'Oh Quando serre/Un dia serre')

It is also the title of Don Was' 1995 film about Wilson, and the accompanying album. The film, in black and white, has interviews with Wilson , his mother and his brother Carl, along with various musicians (David Crosby , Thurston Moore etc), scenes of Brian around the piano, and scenes of him lip-synching to Unplugged style renditions of many of his best songs.

The accompanying album, produced by Don Was (although Wilson gets a co-producers credit) is studio rerecordings of mostly obscure songs, plus one rarity, the 1976 demo of Still I Dream Of It. Unfortunately, the three best musical moments from the film (a version of Orange Crate Art sung with Van Dyke Parks and God Only Knows and In My Room with Audree and Carl Wilson, just filmed at a piano) could not be included, so while these performances are excellent, the video is more rewarding than the CD.

Tracklist:

  1. Meant For You (originally from Friends)
  2. This Whole World (originally from Sunflower)
  3. Caroline, No(originally from Pet Sounds)
  4. Let the Wind Blow (originally from Wild Honey)
  5. Love And Mercy (originally from Brian Wilson)
  6. Do It Again (originally from 20/20)
  7. Warmth Of The Sun (originally from Shut Down Vol 2)
  8. Wonderful (originally from Smiley Smile)
  9. Still I Dream Of It (otherwise only an outtake released on a box set)
  10. Melt Away(originally from Brian Wilson)
  11. Til I Die (originally from Surf's Up)

The album is nowhere near as good as the originals, except for the recordings of Love And Mercy and Melt Away, which are vastly superior to those on 1988's Brian Wilson album, but it is still definitely worth getting hold of, to hear Brian's more mature take on his classic songs.