Can some things travel faster than the speed of light?

A couple of years ago I was working on construction sites. Builders use these things called "Dumpy levels" that are like a laser light-house on a tripod. The self-leveling turret of the light-house revolves, scanning a point of laser light round and round. The line this point of light describes is in the horizontal plane (depending on the accuracy of the level) to within a tiny fraction of a degree, accurate enough for builders to use as a datum while building.

I started to wonder whether, if the room was big enough, the spot of light revolving at (say) one revolution per second would be traveling faster than the speed of light.

So I did some maths. Assuming pi to be 3.1415926 and the speed of light to be 300000km/second, a round 'room' with a radius exceeding 47746.48374 km, with a laser light-house in the centre revolving at one revolution per second, would produce a spot of light on the wall traveling faster than the speed of light.

This thought experiment assumes that you could find a laser capable of throwing a coherent beam 48000 odd kilometres, and a large enough 'room'. But I think it would succeed for the following reasons.

The spot of light is a virtual object. That is to say, it is not a physical object but a place where stuff happens. When the blades of a pair of scissors close, the place where they intersect travels away from the pivot point much faster than either blade aproaches the other. The place where the blades intersect is not itself an object, but a place defined by the relation between two objects. It is thus not a physical object, but a virtual one.

Similarly, the zone where photons are striking the wall could travel faster than any of the individual photons.

Therefore, virtual objects can travel faster than the speed of light.