Republican Senator from Mississippi

Trent Lott was born in Grenada County, Mississippi on October 9, 1941. His father was a sharecropper farmer who later became a shipyard worker and his mother was a schoolteacher. He received both his Bachelor of Science in Public Administration degree (1963) and his Juris Doctorate (1967) from the University of Mississippi in Oxford.

His wife is named Patricia Thompson Lott. She is from Pascagoula, Mississippi. They have a son, Chet, and a daughter, Tyler. The also have three grandchildren: Trent, Shields Elizabeth, and Lucie Sims.

The Senator’s first political position, starting in 1968, was as Administrative Assistant to U.S. Representative William Colmer, D-Mississippi. He was first elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1972 where he served until 1988 when he was elected to the United States Senate. He as been re-elected to two more senate terms: in 1994 and 2000.

Trent Lott is the Senate Republican Leader. He was the Majority Leader from June 12, 1996, until June 5, 2001 when the Republicans had control of the Senate.

Committees:

His website and contact info:

Telephone: (202) 224-6253
Homepage: http://www.senate.gov/~lott/
Email: senatorlott@lott.senate.gov
Office: 487 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510