To serve 4.
Ingredients:

Teriyaki sauce (1 pint):
* Mirin may be substituted for a weak, pale and dry sherry.

1. Slice the ginger into paper-thin slices, then mix it with the soya, sugar and sake in a bowl. Marinade the livers in this mixture overnight in a fridge or at room temperature, then cut them in half.

2. Cut the chicken and onion into chunks of about an inch each. Put them in alternating sequence of chicken, onion, chicken, onion onto a skewer; You should use 3 onion-chunks and 4 chicken-chunks. Repeat with seven more skewers, leaving you four for the livers.
On these 4, take four of the sixteen halves of liver, and put them on.

3. Preheat the grill. Grill the livers for 4 and a half minutes, dip them in teriyaki sauce, and grill for another 4 and a half on the other side.

Dip the other skewers with the chicken and onions into the Teriyaki sauce and grill for 1 and a half minutes. Remove, dip them in the sauce and grill on the other side for another 3 minutes. Again remove and dip, then grill for 1 and a half final minutes on the first side. Sprinkle with pepper and marinade, (from before) and serve each person with 2 skewers of chicken and onions and one of chicken liver.

Teriyaki Sauce:
Put the mirin in a saucepan. Warm it gently. Then set it alight with a match. Shake it back and forth until the flame dies out. Stir in the soya sauce and the stock, and leave to cool to room temperature.

These "Japanese Kebabs" are a real treat to eat, delicios and perfect finger-food for when one's going to be in a rush. It needs foreplanning, but the sweet flavour is worth the time it takes waiting.