Eight ball is a cue sport where the object of the game is to pocket all of your balls (1-7 Solids or 9-15 Stripes)in the pockets predicted, then legally pocket the 8 (Black) ball.

The official rules are copyrighted, so can't be reproduced here, but they basically boil down to this:

  • When racked, the 8 ball (Black) must be in the center, and a solid in one rear corner and the stripe in the opposite corner. (Which corner doesn't matter.)
  • For a legal break, the breaker must break from behind the head string and either sink an object ball or propel at least four object balls into a rail. If a break isn't legal the balls can either be played or re-racked.
  • The table is always open after break, regardless of balls pocketed.
  • If the breaker scratches on break it is a foul, and the table is open and played as is. The next shot must be taken from behind the headstring.
  • A shot is legal when the called object ball is pocketed in the called pocket, or if a miss, a cueball or numbered ball must touch a rail.
  • A shot is a foul when one of the following happens: the shooter fails to contact his object ball first; the cueball leaves the table; the cueball is pocketed; when no balls have been pocketed; or at least one ball doesn't strike a rail.
  • When a foul is committed the shooter has ball in hand anywhere on the table, except for the first shot after the break in which case it has to be in the kitchen.
  • Loss of game occurs when the 8 ball is dropped in a pocket other than the one designated; the 8 ball is sunk early; or a foul occurs when trying to pocket the 8 ball.