The Equalizer is also a handicap/scoring system designed and used by the APA allowing players of varying abilities to compete.

From the APA website
The Equalizer® aids the lesser player by dictating mathematically that he needs to win fewer games than his more highly skilled opponent to win a match. In golf and bowling you give or get strokes or pins. In this League, you give or get games. How many games you give or get is determined by comparing your skill level to the skill level of your opponent. Higher skill level players give lower skill level players a number of games, thus evening the match.

In order to use The Equalizer you must first compete to determine your skill level. Men play their first match as an SL4, and women begin at SL3. After the first match the league operator will rescope the new player to their new skill level.

After SL has been established, the following chart is referenced to determine the handicap to be assessed.

        YOUR OPPONENT
 S/L  2   3   4   5   6   7
   2 2/2 2/3 2/4 2/5 2/6 2/7
 Y 3 3/2 2/2 2/3 2/4 2/5 2/6
 O 4 4/2 3/2 3/3 3/4 3/5 2/5
 U 5 5/2 4/2 4/3 4/4 4/5 3/5
   6 6/2 5/2 5/3 5/4 5/5 4/5
   7 7/2 6/2 5/2 5/3 5/4 5/5
To read the chart, find your skill level on the left, then find your opponent's skill level along the top. Where the two tracks meet is your handicap. The first number is the number you race to, and the second is the number your opponent races to.

For example, say I am a SL4, and my opponent is an SL3. I would have to win 3 games before my opponent won 2 in order to claim the match.


http://www.poolplayers.com/equalizer.html