This node is part of the 13 challenges for the 13th generation.

Problem:
Little support for women willing to undergo an abortion and many violent incidents at abortion clinics, are limiting not only the safety, but also the freedom of choice of those women.

Solution:
Ensuring long-term protection and support for a woman's right to choose.

Today, only 17 percent of American counties have even one medical provider willing to perform abortions. Most women must travel significant distances to obtain services. Many clinics are picketed daily or weekly. And there have been over a thousand violent incidents at clinics, including firebombings, arsons, acid attacks, invasions, and shootings, since the early 1980s.

States across America have enacted laws requiring women to wait 24 hours before having an abortion once they’ve arrived at the clinic. These laws wrongly assume that women make this difficult personal choice on impulse and must be sent home to think about it first. Anti-choice forces have been stymied in their efforts to overturn Roe outright, but the combined effects of such state restriction, anti-choice violence, and the shortage of providers place “freedom of choice” at risk in the coming decades.