The 16'th book in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, and another in the Death sub-series.

Main/Reoccurring Characters:

Death: Death, (you know, tall guy, kind of bony, thing for old farm equipment), starts to wonder "what's it all about, when you get right down to it?", and wanders off.

Death of Rats: Rather smaller, rat version of Death, Has to find someone to take death's place while he's gone, as well as trying to get him back.

Susan: The granddaughter of death, she is chosen by reality to take his place while they're looking for him. Unfortunately, she's still a small girl at boarding school, and has no idea of her, erm, ancestor's identity.

Imp/Buddy y Celon (Celon meaning "of the holly" in Imp's home country): A young non-druid from a land full of them, he leaves vowing to become the greatest musician ever. Unfortunately, gods tend to pick up on that sort of thing, and Imp's life is hijacked by a rather strange, otherworldly guitar.

Glod Glodsson and Lias/Cliff Bluestone: A dwarf and a troll, and along with Imp, they form the Band with Rocks In. One of the best lines of the book, said by Cliff, "They won't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod".

CMOT Dibbler:Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Ankh-Morpork's worst businessman and sausage in a bun salesman, and the self appointed manager of the Band with Rocks In. A sure sign of disaster.

And of course, the usual cast of Ankh-Morpork types (The Wizards, The Watch, etc.) .
Published by HarperTorch
Copyright 1995, Terry and Lyn Pratchett
ISBN: 0-06-105489-5