I was in the library, late at night, sitting at one of the quiet side desks facing the window on one of the isolated upper floors. At this time of night, nobody else was there, and I was sitting there alone trying to finish what remained of my fluid mechanics assignment. It was stupidly hard, I didn’t understand a thing and I was poorly motivated. Half way through, I started to lose focus and just plonked my head on the desk. Before I realised, I had begun writing the name of the girl I liked in my notebook. Just writing her name over and over again. And before I knew it, I became drowsy and fell asleep.

And I dreamed.

I dreamed that she was making her way out of the library, but then she saw me. She saw me sleeping soundly on the desk, and her eyes gravitated to my hand which was still clutching the pen, and then to the lines of writing in my notebook, and then to the endless columns of her name that slowly became illegible before abruptly stopping. She smiled, brushed her hair from her cheeks, and then gave me a peck on the cheek. And then she briskly skipped away.

When I finally came to, I looked at the clock in front of me and saw that I had slept for more than an hour. I still felt the softness of her kiss lingering on my cheek and slowly brought my hand close to her kiss as if in religious reverence. Was it all just a dream? I was about to say so. But then I realised there was a distinct coolness on my cheek. A trace of some moisture from her lips was unmistakenably, definitely, there.

I leapt out of my chair and began searching through the aisles, trying to find her. But she had long already disappeared in the labyrinthine corridors of the library.