Flutter tounging is also used by brass instruments (I don't think it's possible for woodwinds other than the flute & piccolo). Its more commonly called 'growling' on trumpet and trombone. The trombone uses this technique often in early dixieland and traditional jazz.

Generally only used in more modern pieces, its basically the same as rolling your r's while playing your instrument.