Space Jam (1996) was one of the first hybrid actor and CGI graphics movies, in the same style as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, back in 1988.

Starring: Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Larry Johnson, Ahmad Rashad, Jeff Malone, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd and the rest of the toon squad

Plot synopsis

In Space jam, the evil ones are planning to kidnap Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Tweety, Sylvester and all the other heroes, for their theme park, Moron Mountain. The theme park has some quality to it that makes it seem like a cheap stab at Disney World, of course.

Bugs Bunny makes a deal with those evil space people, and figures that they don't stand a chance at playing Basketball against the Looneys. They were wrong, because the evil ones suck the talents out of prominent basketball players.

The Looneys, however, snag Michael Jordan (who plays himself), to play for their team.

From there on, the plot pretty much writes itself. They go through training. When the match day comes, they lose the first half, Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny have a pep talk, and then they beat the evil aliens.

The movie is directed by Joe Pytka, who apparently is the director of a load of ads starring Michael Jordan.. The movie seems to be influenced by this quite heavily, but in a way this adds to the humour

Audience Response

The movie got very mixed response. Some say that the movie isn't "true" to its Looney Toons past, while others thought the story line was less-than-average

my opinion: Although the plot is horribly predictable, the movie is still not too bad. Mind you, you won't be getting any deep humour etc.. But for a few hours of no-brain fun with some nice animation, Basketball action and a happy ending, you can't really go wrong with the Looney Toons.

-30-