originally an article written by me, published on VG Nett

Osama bin Laden - dead or alive?

In the US, the discussion on wether Osama bin Laden is alive or not is alive in the media. They seem to try to compete on declaring his death, and reviving him every second time. But what is the truth? When the whole thing broke loose on the 11th, George W. Bush was quick to refer to the old western poster; Wanted dead or alive. At the moment, however, nobody seems to know which one it is.

Alive: November 27 2001
According to Hazarat Ali, the Jalalabad city security chief, Osama Bin Laden was observed by the Tora Bora mountains. When this became well known, the USA started their bombing in the area.

Alive: November 29 2001
An Northern Alliance officer said that Bin Laden was alive, and that he was on the run with Mohammad Omar, the taliban leader.

Wounded: Approx. 15 December 2001
According to an arabic newspaper, bin laden was wounded in an attack on his base in Afghanistan.

Dead: December 22, 2001
The Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf claims in a television interview that there is a great chance that bin laden was killed during the Tora Bora bomb raids, and that he definitely wouldn't be in Pakistan.

Wounded: December 25, 2001
A Pakistani newspaper writes about Bin laden's funeral. A Taliban leader is cited saying that Bin Laden died of natural courses (not a typo! Although it would be natural to die of getting a 2000 pound bomb delivered on your doorstep, courtesy of USAF)

Alive: December 27, 2001
Two days after Bin Laden was claimed to have been buried, Afghan authorities claim that he is in Pakistan, together with al quaeda sympathisers. (hmmh - wasn't he just buried? And didn't the president say that he definitely not was in Pakistan?)

Alive: December 30 2001
A representative of the US Senate safety comittee says that bin Laden islikely to be alive, but that they don't have a clue where he is. The representative reckons he is somewhere in the Tora Boras, or in Pakistan.

Dead: January 18, 2002
According to the pakistani president Pervez Musharraf, Osama bin Laden might have died following an acute kidney failure, after he got disconnected from his dialysis machine (!)

Dead or Alive: February 3, 2002
A spokesman for the US Senate says that "Osama bin Laden is either alive or dead, and that he is probably hiding out somewhere (remind me to check what other state you can be, except from alive or dead, and also - wouldn't you, too, be hiding out if you were bin Laden? Let's give the US senate spokesman a standing ovation for that one)

Alive: February 5th 2002
According to US officials, bin Laden survived the bombing of the Tora Boras, and is probably hising in the border area betweeen Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Alive: March 9, 2002
According to Saudi media, one of bin Ladens wives believes he's alive.

Alive: April 23, 2002
A spokesman for the US administration admits there is a major possibility that bin Laden is alive, and that he still is in Afghanistan. It is also claimed that the silence from mr. Laden is because of a PR stunt.

Alive: May 17, 2002
According to saudi media, one of the taliban leaders Mullah Mohammed Omar has said that bin Laden is alive, and that Bush will never manage to kill him.

Alive: May 19, 2002
US Vice president Dick Cheney confirms that he believes bin Laden is still alive, and that the US can expect new terrorist attacks soon.

Alive: June 12, 2002
A russian newspaper cites taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar, saying he knows bin Laden is alive, and still lives in Afghanistan.

Alive: June 23, 2002
A safety committee in the US claims bin Laden is still alive, and that al Quaeda are planning new terrorist attacks.

Alive: June 26, 2002
"Osama bin Laden will surface soon", says an al-Qaeda spokessman. He also says that the terror network soon will recommence the terror.

Alive: July 13
Chief of german foreign office, August Hanning, says that bin Laden is still alive, and probably is in the border area between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Alive: July 15, 2002
A london-based newspaper claims they have sources that have been in contact with bin laden, proving that the rumours of his death were false.

Dead: July 17, 2002
The chief of the FBI anti-terror unit, Dale Watson, says that "he has a feeling that bin Laden is dead". But he can't cough up a shred of evidence either way.

Alive: July 24, 2002
Bin Laden is said to have hidden messages in porn images, leading to new speculations of him being alive.

Alive: July 30, 2002
Indias secretary of defence, George Fernandes, claims that bin Laden is alive, and resides in Pakistan.

Dead: May 4, 2011
The US presedent, Barak Obama, confirms that Bin Laden has been killed in a raid by US troups in Pakistan. He is now an ex-parrot.



Sources: Primarily CNN and VG Nett, but those two also cite bunches of other sources. This w/u is not at all complete or comprehensive, but it gives a bit of an impression about the bloody hype around the guy currently topping the FBIs most wanted list.