First of all, I should point out that anything and everything expressed in this daylog is my personal opinion. It is not the official opinion of the E2 editors or management in any way, shape, or form.

For the other noders who don't know (or didn't spot the pipelink), Dermot Reilly is, in fact, JohnnyGoodyear. I didn't realise this until after I nuked the write-up in question. Otherwise, I would have left it for another editor to deal with. By the end of this write-up, everyone will realise that Dermot Reilly / JohnnyGoodyear / RangyJoeyHondo / whatever other accounts he might have is firmly on my shitlist. In the interest of integrity, I vow not to touch any of JG's writeups ever again. The other editors can sort out his mess.

I am not in a position to argue for or against poetry on E2. I'm not a big fan / lover of poetry, so in general, I try to ignore it, and leave it to the editors who know about these things. So I will not take you up on that discussion. What I will say, however, is this...


My dear Dermot Reilly,

First of all, I have no idea why this is an issue for the daylogs (As a point of order, you've been around long enough to know that daylogs are usually posted hidden...), as opposed to, say, a message or an e-mail. I strongly doubt anyone is interested in a public catfight.

Having said that, your post is explicitly asking for a reply, so that is what I shall give: A single reply. No further correspondence will be entered into, because in writing this, I have already wasted enough time on you.

About 10 days ago or so, I nuked a writeup by a newbie, who had written a question about how he could change a fuel pump on a 1994 Mazda 626. He had a convoluted story about what had gone wrong, and why he was worried about it, but the essence of the matter was that the write-up didn't have a place on E2 -- it is simply the wrong forum for that sort of questions. As such, I decided to write a simple reply, along the lines of 'I might be able to help you with this, but you would probably be better off asking the exact same question on answers.yahoo.com, as they have a lot of good mechanics, and will be able to point you at some useful resources'.

At first, when I saw your writeup, Dermot, with the title how do you change fuel pump in 1994 mazda 626, I thought it was the same guy again, and I went there, to find out if perhaps he had managed to find out how to do it, and subsequently decided to node his experiences. It would have been a great way to be introduced to E2.

Instead, I find a poem. Fair enough, I thought, perhaps he decided to write up his experiences in poetic form. Instead of anything actually remotely useful, I found a poem which triteness is bordering on the offensive in terms of a waste of everyone's time.

Quite apart from the fact that the poem is a bag of festering shite, without any redeeming poetic or prosaic features, it is also offensive to the extreme: your so-called poem starts '"how do you change fuel pump in 1994 mazda 626" shouts The Pakistani Kid just off the boat from Pakistan'.

Imagine, just for a minute, that you were the new noder joining E2. You ask a genuine question, you get some help, and are uhm-ing and ah-ing about whether or not you wish to join the community and start writing. Then, some Joe Q. Random writes a write-up about you and your troubles, starting off by calling him a Pakistani kid just off the boat from Pakistan. How would you react? Exactly. That's no way to treat baby noders.

In my personal opinion, JG, you are a coward. You keep setting up new accounts, and posting a few good writeups -- I can't deny that -- and then you start posting stuff that spirals downward in quality, as if you are daring somebody to say something. In a way, it works, and I would liken your practices to a band like Metallica: Starting off great like an all-cock, all-balls heavy metal band that didn't pull any punches. Then they started doing ballads and singing songs about babies and sadness and all that shite, and nobody called them on their bluff: They got away with it, they were big-name superstars, and people wanted to like it. But at the bottom of our hearts, we all know it: It's fucking drivel, and nobody should have to suffer through all that sort of bullshit. Hell, if you've seen Monster, you realise that even Metallica knew that what they were doing was embarrassingly bad.

About 2 years ago, JG, you wrote the following to a new noder who was just finding his feet on E2. This noder was my mentee. He came to me, worrying if he should stay here, or if there really wasn't any point in trying to realise his dreams to become a writer:

"JohnnyGoodyear says You are by no means a bad noder; just a bad writer. You may not get over it, but you will get used to it."

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is an echo of your own words: You are by no means a bad writer, just a bad noder. And personally, I think E2 would be a much better place if you would just fuck off...

...again.

Much love,
SharQ