The Big E2 Independent Film Quest

Independent film is a complicated topic. For one, it's difficult to determine which films are independent, and which aren't. The rule of the thumb is that Indie films generally are produced without financing from major film studios. Of course, it's virtually impossible (with honourable exceptions) to create a cinema-quality film without a vast sum of cash, so the money has to come from somewhere. This 'somewhere' is where the confusion about independent films comes from. The relevant node has some information, but more insight would be most welcome

In recent years, low-budget films such as Blair Witch Project, Capturing the Friedmans and Supersize Me, and higher-budget indie movies like Donnie Darko, Dogma, Requiem for a Dream, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Volver have been making a killing in the box office. They have a few things in common: They're independently financed (if distributed via big-name distributors), different, and arguably a lot more worth watching than some of the recent contributions from the big-name studios.

The Pitch

As if you hadn't guessed already... Write about independent film! We want actors who started off (or strayed back to, or never made it outside of) independent film, producers, directors, writers, independent studios, how-tos, and reviews of independent films. I don't care if the films have been on general release or not - as long as the Long Evil Hand of Hollywood has (mostly) stayed out of it.

The quest starts... NOW, and will finish October 10, 0:00 server time. Only write-ups posted between now and the finishing date are eligible in the quest.

Sign the contract

I've forged an alliance with ascorbic and Lord Brawl, who will bestow XP rewards on particularly well-loved entries. In addition, there's the higher exposure of being a quest participant. And, well, let's face it - people love to read about films anyway, so you're probably going to get tons of attention anyway. It's a win/win/win situation!

Entries will be judged by a couple of E2 editors, including myself, The Debutante, and a few other eager volunteers.

When you complete an entry that's eligible for the quest, send me a /msg, and I'll offer feedback, votes, possible C!s, and I'll add your contribution for everybody to see below!

Any questions? /msg me!

Roll Credits:

Actors

  • your entry here

Directors

  • your entry here

Films

About independent film

  • your entry here