Let's take the shape, size, and layout of a Super NES controller and replace the A, B, X, & Y button layout with the A, B, X, & Y button layout from the Nintendo GameCube. It's called the Hori Digital Controller and it's coming in February 2003 for use with the GameCube Game Boy Player for $19.99 each.

The controller has the traditional Super NES controller shape and size. The left side of the unit contains the traditional Control Pad, the L and R buttons reside at the top of the controller and mimic the size and shape of the Super NES's L and R buttons. Your friends Start and Select are where you remember then. The big change is that, essentially, the manufacturer took the A, B, X, & Y buttons of a GameCube controller and plopped them onto this new controller, maintaining the same orientation, size, and color. Why maintain this orientation? Presumably Nintendo will make games to fit their authorized controller scheme and the Hori folks want to be sure their controller will perform as intended. The GameCube's Z button also comes along for the ride and lands on the front of the controller just above the Select button. This button has also been reshaped to a circle as opposed to the traditional rectangular shape.

So why would anyone want this controller when the GameCube's standard controller will work just fine with the GameCube Game Boy Player? As the Game Boy Advance generates games reminiscent of the 16-bit era, the Hori controller provides a retro feel to match the glories of the retro graphics.

will says "This controller has been available in Japan since last year, most likely for the specific needs of a Japanese games player (probably in order to play Capcom Vs. SNK properly)."


References:
http://www.gccafe.com