The most typical varietal of kiwifruit is Actinidia deliciosa. Also known as Chinese Gooseberry, kiwifruit is an extremely large berry. The oval fruit has a soft, tan skin with small, brown bristles and a thin rind (which are both edible, but usually discarded). Upon slicing the berry along its short axis, we see a bright green flesh holding several rows of tiny, black seeds. The fruit is sweet, the flesh sticky and juicy, and the entire berry is packed with over 150 mg of Vitamin C1, nearly 200% of the daily recommended value!

To prepare a kiwifruit one needs a napkin, a knife, and a tablespoon. If you plan on eating the (sour) skin, have the napkin on-hand to keep your chin clean. If you seek only the green and black-dotted flesh, take the knife and spoon to a clean, flat surface. Holding the kiwifruit by its short axis (at the midpoint of its long axis) use the knife to trim the ends (remove approximately one-eighth of an inch). If the kiwifruit now stands by itself, you’ve removed enough. Next, take the tablespoon (more difficult with smaller spoons) and slowly work it between the skin and flesh. Gently work the spoon down, and around, until the entire flesh is separated. Remove the spoon. Pinch at the top of the skin, and the flesh should slide down. Pick up your knife, then slice the berry perpendicular to the long axis (to display those lovely seeds).

Sliced kiwifruit is a healthy, colorful, and delicious addition to any meal. It can serve extremely well as a blended shake ingredient or to add a beautiful component to dessert. Use caution: the juices of kiwifruit will dissolve gelatin, milk, and other dairy based components. Use sparingly; apply as decoration just prior to serving.


1 - Wikipedia. "Kiwifruit". Accessed 7/29/2019.
BQ-07-300