(realpolitik) This theory of international relations draws heavily from thinkers like Machiavelli and Hobbes. Generally contrasted with idealism, it is marked by a degree of pessimism about human nature. Key axioms of realist theory include:

1. Each state must protect its territory and interests at any cost.
• Politics is aimed at acquiring, pursuing and increasing power in order to use it.
• There are no universal ethics.
National security issues are always of prime importance.
2. All states seek power, especially military power.
• Nothing else guarantees their survival and security.
• Sovereignty enshrines the principle of self-help in an anarchical environment
3. The world is governed by the law of the jungle
• The purpose of statecraft is survival in a hostile environment.
4. Relations between and among states are defined by amoral calculations
5. The principal actors in international relations are states.
• States are rational, calculating units that pursue their interests.
• States must moderate their quest for power because everyone else is also after it.
• Prudence and pragmatism are vital traits. 6. Respect for moral principles is wasteful and potentially dangerous.

There are also a number of assumptions behind realist theory:

1. People are amoral.
2. The lust for power is prevalent among all people.
3. The possibility of eliminating the lust for power is a utopian fantasy.
4. International politics is the struggle for power.
5. Survival is the goal of every state.
6. The anarchical international system necessitates the acquisition of military power sufficient to deter attack.
7. Economics is less relevant to national security than military power.
• Economics still plays an important role.
8. Allies may assist in defence, but should never be trusted completely.
9. Self-protection should never be entrusted to an international organization or law.
10. If all states seek to maximize power, a stable balance of power will evolve.